Coconut Milk Vegetable Soup
1 vidalia sweet onion, diced into large chunks
coconut oil (preferably virgin, since this is a coconnut dish anyway)
1 can organic coconut milk
1 cup light coconut milk
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tsp slivered almonds
2-3 tsp coriander seeds
large handful of green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large sweet potato
2 bay leaves
1 head bok choy, roughly chopped (green leafy parts only)
2 tbsp lemon juice
bean sprouts and/or green onions for garnishing
1. Using a peeler, remove skin from sweet potato and chop into 1-inch pieces. Then cook in boiling water until just soft. Add the green beans during the last 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
(Hint – Eat a small piece of the sweet potato while it is still raw!) When the sweet potato is done, strain and set aside in a bowl.
3. While the sweet potato is cooking, heat coconut oil in large wok. Dry-cook the coriander seeds for about 1 minute, or until fragrant, then remove from heat. Using a pestle and mortar, crush the coriander, garlic, and almonds into a rough paste and set aside. In the same oil (you may need to add a little more), cook onion until just soft.
4. Add the crushed spices to the onion and cook for about 1 minute, tossing together thoroughly.
5. Pour in both cans of coconut milk and add the bay leaves, then bring to a simmer. Turn off heat. Add the sweet potato, green beans, and bok choy.
6. Garnish with bean sprouts if desired. Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.